Sunday, August 5, 2007

How do you measure time?

According to the calendar, today marks six months that Maeve has been with us. But as they say, time is relative... Maeve has been our child in our hearts and minds for many years now. The road to Maeve was long and winding. When we were waiting for word of her, six months was an eternity. Yet now that she is with us six months has passed in the blink of an eye.

Everything is suddently different. It is not just the daily routine of our lives that has changed (and is much more structured around nap times). Our thoughts and choices about how we live our lives are coloured by concerns over Maeve and how her future may be affected.

She has brought immeasurable joy to Pat and me and our families. I'm not sure I realized before I held her just how big the impact could be from such a tiny little bundle. We are thankful every moment to be so blessed.

Although she hasn't grown much taller or heavier since our Gotcha Day, she is a very different person from the sobbing, sweating, petrified baby that clung to me for dear life. She now toddles and babbles and kisses and giggles and hugs and bounces and scooches and wiggles. But she still sweats up a storm.


Gotcha Day





Six Months Later


5 comments:

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Happy 6 months! We're go happy that we got to spend time with you guys on our trip to China. It was nice to journey home together...

I love the picture of Maeve with such a big smile! We miss you all! Can't wait till you come to the East Coast...maybe we can meet you in Halifax or you can come to the island sometime.

Monica said...

Happy anniversary to you. Ah, the giggles and kisses are the best!

As much of an anniversary it is with our babies, it is also the anniversary of our travel group becoming life-long friends. We so enjoyed travelling with you and we love your more regular blog updates! Keep it up!

Rae said...

Six months in the blink of an eye...how right you are, Kathleen!

And I'll echo all of Monica's sentiments exactly!

What a beautiful family photo. Happy anniversary to all of you and big hugs and kisses to Maeve.

Shea said...

You have a beautiful family. This post was very eloquent, and I identify with everything you said. It did seem like such a long road to get here, but I can't imagine my life in any other way. I know you feel the same. Happy Anniversary, and I'm thankful we can follow your lives through this blog.

Shea and Caia (the screamer on Gotcha Day!!)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the whole family!Lots of hugs and kisses to all of you,

love
carmel, daniel, alex