Sunday, September 9, 2007

A little bit of daycare fall out

All in all, Maeve seems to have handled the first 2 days of daycare better than her mother. However, we have noticed a few things that might be fall out from the change--of course they could just be coincidence.

Maeve has a little bit of a cold. It is just a bit of a runny nose and it barely seems to affect her. Well, except that she is wiping her runny nose with her hand all the time and smearing it all over her face. Yuck! I'm sure we're going to get worse things like flus running rampant through the daycare.

She also doesn't sleep through the night any more. We had a good run of several weeks where she was sleeping through from the time we put her in the crib (usually around 8 pm) until 7:30 am. But since daycare, she wakes up several times during the night and we have to console her by rocking her and singing to her. She usually goes back to sleep after 15 or 20 minutes, but sometimes not. Maybe it's the cold? Or maybe she is feeling a bit uncertain because of being left at daycare. We can't know. All we can do it is assure her of our love and that we will always come back for her.

She's also gotten a bit constipated again. (One day she'll be really mad at me for putting this on the blog!) It doesn't seem as bad as it was before. But the poor darling is clearly in pain when she has a BM. It could be the new foods (like rice crispy squares), but it is likely the stress. So we need to keep up with the flaxseed oil, prunes and digestive enzymes. Thanks to a tip from Maeve's aunt Evelyn, we've also found out that corn syrup in the formula helps. I wish we could do more for her though.

Other than those few things, she is still our giggly little love.

This week, I'll be trying to only stay for an hour in the morning and then leaving her for the rest of the day. I hope she adjusts to it. And I hope I do too!

3 comments:

Shea said...

I'll have to remember that tip about corn syrup in the formula. I hadn't heard that before.

I'm sure the differences in routine are due to the changes in Maeve's routine. How about you and Pat? I think I'll be more stressed than Caia will be. Sleepless nights, nausea. Yuck.

It just doesn't seem possible that we're at the point of returning to work. Where has the time gone???

Rae said...

I've been catching up on Maeve's first day care days. I hope the fall out doesn't last too terribly long. It's obviously a huge stress for our girls when first left behind. I can't even bring myself to think of leaving Bryn 5 months from now but I know one day soon I'll have to start looking for suitable day care for her. I was amazed to read that your daycare actually has a webcam...I'm sure I'd be watching it all day long!

I appreciate you sharing your experiences with us as we'll all be going through the same thing soon enough. :-(

It sounds as if you and Pat are adjusting as well, though probably not as quickly as Maeve! I wonder if it really is harder on us than on the girls?

Again, thanks for sharing, Kathleen. Big hugs to little Maeve!

Kath said...

Thanks to all the Xinyu sister mommies for your support. It really helps to hear words of support and encouragement from you. It's better than therapy! (And cheaper too.)

Nice to hear from you Rae. Hope you are feeling better soon.