We had a busy week. I travelled to Boston on business Wednesday and Thursday, so Baba was a single parent for a couple of days. Wednesday was my first night away from Maeve since we got her. I missed her terribly. Luckily, I was pretty exhausted from a long day of travel and work, so I slept a bit.
Both Baba and Maeve made it through relatively unscathed. She was a bit confused as to why Baba was dropping her off at daycare.
I brought her back a little stuffed lobster. At first she was afraid of it. But now she carries it around the house.
Daycare is going well. She seems to be getting more used to things everyday. She still cries a little when I drop her off. But lately she has been interacting and participating. One of the teachers is making it a little project of hers to get Maeve to give up her soother. She's gone a few hours each afternoon in the last couple of weeks without it. Maeve's even starting to use her words at daycare. At first she was quiet as a mouse; just nodding, pointing and grunting to communicate.
Our little monkey must have a very accurate internal clock. Baba usually picks her up at 4 from daycare. The teachers say that at about 5 minutes to, she starts to cry. I'm pretty sure she can't tell time, so I'm not sure exactly how she can tell...
We have noticed some changes in her behaviour that we think might be at least in part due to daycare. She has started saying "mine" in regards to things (whether they are actually hers or not is another matter). I guess that might just be a factor of her age, but I'm pretty sure she hears "mine" a lot at daycare. :-) She also a lot more comfortable with other kids. She used to shrink away and not want to interact. Now she will high five them or give hugs. She'll even hold hands with her three and five year old cousins and walk with them.
I hope this means that she's through most of the trauma of her recent life changes and her true personality is starting to emerge.
5 comments:
Good to hear from you. You must be so relieved that Maeve seems to be settling in more at daycare. What a load off your mind I bet. There are some advantages and skills that kids get from being in that environment and it's good she's socializing and verbalizing more now. I can imagine how you must have felt leaving her for that trip. Glad to hear the other two weathered that fine too, although I'm sure they missed you like crazy!!
Glad to hear that Maeve is adjusting to daycare and picking up some new tricks too! I've often heard that kids verbal skills really take off in daycare - major bonus!
Love the pics, especially the one of Maeve with a huge smile while in the backpack.
Maeve looks so happy in her backpack, she was obviously enjoying the day. Such a beautiful smile and she always looks so adorable in her hats!
Glad to hear she's adjusting to day care. Her internal clock works well by the sounds of things! How are mama and baba making out? I can relate to your feelings on your first night away from her, Kathleen, I know mine wasn't much fun.
We're envious of the beautiful weather you're having, it's been a typical cold October here and we're just hoping the snow holds off until after Halloween.
Great to hear about the new developments for Maeve, and you and Pat! lovely to see you all enjoying a bit of fall together too... miss you all,
love
carm, dan and alex
It's good to hear that you're settling into a new routine. That first night away from Maeve must have been hard, so it's a good thing you were busy and ready for sleep that night. Maeve looks very happy in the photos.
Post a Comment