Sunday, December 2, 2007

Breakfast with Santa

Sorry I haven't posted in a while. I was away in Chicago for 5 days last week at a tradeshow, so things have been a little busy.

Maeve and Baba did very well while I was away. Although she's extra concerned that she knows where both of us are at all times now that I'm back. When she's with me, she wants to know where Baba is. When she's with Baba, she wants to know where Mama is. I think she still has quite a bit of separation anxiety. Yesterday, I went in to get her up and dressed, which is usually a Baba task. That got her very worried that Baba had now left so she kept asking for him.

Yesterday, we had breakfast with Santa! We were about 45 minutes late as our daughter/alarm clock didn't wake up until 8:30. She usually gets up between 6:30 and 7, but not on the day when we have to be somewhere early. Oh well.

She is pretty much deathly afraid of Santa. When he came into the room she didn't even want to look at him. She just clung onto Baba for dear life. She did get to see some of her friends who are also from China and got a nice board book from Santa. Or should I say I got the book from Santa and passed it on to her.

In the afternoon, we decorated our Christmas tree. Maeve was more interested in taking the decorations out of the boxes and then putting the boxes neatly away than in hanging them on the tree. I don't think she likes the feeling of the needles against her fingers.

Well the cold weather has hit us. Today we spent a few hours in the morning shovelling out the driveway and walk only to have the plow block us in with a 3 foot wall. Thankfully, we have a snowblower for just such occassions. Needless to say, I didn't make it to church. Maeve had fun helping us. I would take a shovel full of snow and she would push it off into the pile. She kept saying "WOW!"

Someone mentioned wanting stats:
-> as of last Friday 20 months
-> 30.5 inches tall
-> 22 lbs
-> just graduating to 12-18 month clothing (but they are big on her)
-> size 4 shoes (sometimes 5 depending on the make), it was pretty tough to find winter boots for walking that were small enough; her Robeeze boots fit, but they are soft soled
-> we still have her carseat facing rear

She's still just a slip of a girl. She still eats like she may not see food again for days. I'm not sure where it all goes because she is still so tiny. She does have quite the Buddha belly going though.

Some recent photos:
Helping to put the snow tires on the cars.
Don't let the scary Santa guy see me!
The other kids seem to think he's ok. I guess I can listen to a story.
Lauren and Maeve check out their new books.
Maeve's not big on posing for photos. "Down?! Down?!" As in please let me run around.
Maeve helps Baba take the ornaments out.
Hello? Is this the Santa hotline?
This tree is prickly!
Every time a bell rings, an angel gets his wings...

6 comments:

Rae said...

So happy to see a new post and hear what Queen Maeve is up to. Obviously with work and day-to-day life, updates are harder to do so thanks for this!

Maeve sure is a little peanut! She must burn up a lot of her calories wondering where Mama and Baba are, and tidying up around the house. She and Claire seem to be the tiny ones of the group, especially compared to our little bruiser who also has a Buddha belly.

You always have such great photos and I really love the last 3...Maeve is adorable in her Santa hat and the ones by the tree are absolutely beautiful. She certainly is an angel.

Enjoy the snow...I think we're sending more your way as we're in the middle of a little storm here now and are expecting 10 to 15 cm overnight. Get out your shovel, Maeve! Hugs from snowy Saskatoon.

Kennedy and Jaida's mom said...

Great update! We're hunkering down here for a snowstorm tomorrow. Hopefully we'll get a day off out of it :)

Love the pictures! Maeve is as adorable as ever!

We haven't attempted the Santa visit yet...just waved to him from a distance at the Santa parade.

Looking forward to more pics from the holidays.
Hugs from PEI

Beth said...

Wonderful update. We haven't tackled Santa at all yet. I love the tree pics. I can just picture her shovelling. J has a blower too so little Ava may not get much of a chance. But there's lots of snow so she can shovel the back yard. Hugs to you all. Love all the info whenever you can.

Monica said...

I relate to not knowing where all of the food goes! Claire eats a lot (even her grandparents comment about what a good eater she is) but her little body sure doesn't show it except for her buddha belly.

All of your photos and captions are wonderful, but I especially love the photo of Maeve next to the tree in the dark. Her plump little cheeks just look so kissable and squeezable!

Thanks for a wonderful, newsy post. Hugs to you all!

Shea said...

Thanks for the great update. I love the Christmas photos. Funny how that baby alarm clock works every other day, but not the day you need it. It never fails, when we need to be somewhere early Caia sleeps late.

Isn't it fun experiencing new things with our girls? Even shovelling snow becomes a novelty because of them. Good thing you have a snowblower to dig your way out of that snow wall. I was wondering how I would ever get myself out of the driveway if that happened. Good thing I live in a townhouse development, I guess.

Have fun getting ready for Christmas.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kath, Pat, Maeve! Kath, how awful for you to be away five days, I'm sure you missed her so!
she is a sweetie, her holiday pictures are lovely! best to you, cannot wait to see Maeve et al on the 27th, happy holidays to all the other Xinyu sisters and families!
xx
carmel