Sunday, July 29, 2007

Heading Home

Tonight is Maeve's last sleep at Po Po and Gung Gung's house. Tomorrow we head back home. We've been showing her pictures of all the family at home, and of our house, to refresh her memory and help make the adjustment easier. We'll see. Hopefully, the trip home doesn't cause her to stress out too much.

One of the other purposes of coming to Ottawa was for my parents to have a banquet with their friends and family to celebrate their two new granddaughters. Here are a few shots from the dinner. We had 5 big tables in the restaurant and were served a nine course meal. It reminded me of all the wonderful lunches and dinners we had with the travel group in Nanchang and Beijing. All we needed was a few more babies.

Robyn had a blast and loved visiting with everyone. Maeve was totally stressed out the whole time. But in the end she calmed down a bit and gave a few high fives to the crowd.

Thank you for a wonderful month in Ottawa Mom and Dad. Maeve will miss playing with you in the garden and your wonderful cooking.



Robyn greeting her adoring fans with her mom Evelyn.


Robyn with her great great aunt. Sadly, my grandmother (this lady's sister) passed away the year before Robyn came along, so she never got to meet her great granddaughters. I'm sure holding Robyn brought back bittersweet memories of my grandmother for my great aunt. In this photo, she is passing on her jade pendant to Robyn.


Maeve in her Singapore airlines dress with Po Po and another great great aunt.


Robyn and Evelyn with auntie Ethel. My parents met Ethel and her husband Mark when we lived in England almost 40 years ago.


Robyn with her proud grandfather.


My brother Andrew, with his lovely wife Evelyn and baby Robyn.


An exhausted Maeve with her Baba.

4 comments:

Rae said...

What a wonderful month you must have had! Maeve's grandparents will miss her terribly, I'm sure.

I hope all goes smoothly on your trip and Maeve has no problems adjusting to things back home.

We've loved seeing all the posts while you've been in "high speed" land and hope they contine when you get home!

Monica said...

I can relate to Maeve being totally stressed out during the party. When we visited family in Saskatchewan back in June, Claire would be completely overwhelmed at each large gathering (which were frequent!). She'd just start to warm up and then the gathering would be over. Kinda stressful on Mama and Baba too, huh? (At least, I thought so!)

Thank you for all the wonderful updates!

Anonymous said...

What a nice get-together! I'm sure it will be so hard for Lucilla and Marcus to see you guys leave...

I've LOVED seeing all these great posts! Hope you can continue to keep us updated when you get back home.

Love from the East Coast.
xoxo

Shea said...

I've enjoyed your frequent posts from Ottawa. Caia has 2 cousins who are close to her age, and I know how special that bond is. It was nice to see Robyn and Maeve together.

Seeing the group dinner, and Lucilla and Marcus, brings back memories of China. Thanks for sharing your family with us.