Today's final bit of post-adoption emigration business: a mid-morning medical check-up far across the vast city of Beijing. Maeve passed her check up with flying colours …
Afterwards, we had scheduled a light afternoon that consisted largely of a session with a professional Beijing photographer arranged by our Ottawa agents Yulin and Bob. (The photo shoot took place in Yulin's suite.) But I want to tell you about the bus ride to the medical clinic, which included a special treat, a foretaste of the wonder to come. (I'll let pics tell you more about this crosstown trip in the very next post …)
Suffice it to say here that we drove through a part of Beijing we had not visited before: the political and diplomatic sections, which include the oldest, most important parts of China's vast capital. The medical clinic was an hour across town by bus (at least in the morning's rush hour traffic), and it gave us a peek into the heart of this magnificent feudal, industrial, 21st century city.
And here I must retract what I said in yesterday's post:
There is one place Kath and I really must take our Maeve to, before bearing her onward to her new homeland. We embarked on this parenting pilgrimage to China with gratitude in our hearts. We know we both owe her first homeland a soulful fealty …
And after glimpsing China's most storied World Heritage Site as we bussed through Beijing's ancient core, we're both ready and willing to take one final must-see tour before departure. Tomorrow, we'll pay homage to Maeve's country by visiting what is clearly it's greatest sightseeing treasure, saved always for last on these international adoption treks.
The Forbidden City.
Wow, just spying it in the near-distance made us both gasp! Yesterday morning's bus ride certainly recast the Wall, the Summer Palace, the Tower of London and every other historic site I've visited into diminutive perspective. We visit the Forbidden City tomorrow (Thursday) ...
Now for some Maeve's Morning Adventure shots:

"Hey Mom, I'm up for anything this morning. Where to?"

"Did someone say medical exam?"

"Actually, I'm feeling rather ambivalent about this trip."

Upon entering the clinic, Maeve senses danger and decides to check out of consciousness, just in case. Nice strategy. Too bad we had to wake her for the actual physical ... Maeve went ballistic, gave up hope of rescue from her new Mama and Baba, and gave me such a look of betrayal that I was cast back into Szell-Hell again.


The head nurse of the clinic comes over to tell me something about Maeve that I best not share here, as I've done enough bragging about her beauty to nauseate all who've stuck through this expeditionary adoption-blog!


Maeve pleased to be leaving the clinic's chamber of horrors.

"What's this? You think you can pacify me after such a terrible betrayal …"

"And with a mere soother? You really are pathetic, Baba."

"But lemme give it a try, anyway."

Nope, too late. Medical exams are too exhausting even for pacifiers.

"Whatcha mean 'a bad case of bus head', Mom?"

Maeve, feeling safe and sound back in her State Guest digs. "Hey Auntie Col, don't you think I look a lot like you when you were this little?"
P, K, & M, with love
5 comments:
i just adore the little freckle on the side of her nose.
that's all.
i love her in her diaper pat with her hand on daddy's heart. but that last picture is the best one yet. the head board makes it look like she is the sun and rays of light emulate from her. she is and they do.
looking forward to pics from the forbidden city... we miss you guys and send our love!!!
auntie sheila
xoxo
I think that the pictures are more wonderful than I ever expected. The Blog is the highlight of our day, there are no words to describe Maeve, how beautiful, how bright, so inquisitive, we love the way you interpret her every expression and movement. We are all so excited for this week and we look forward to your descriptions of your trip to the Forbidden City and its many, many wonders.
All our love
Grandma and Granpa
I only wish I was that cute! I can't wait to meet my new neice - it'll be a joy to get to know Maeve - hurry home safely.
Col
What wonderful photos, every day! I am going to miss my Maeve posts when you are all home, but then I'll get to see photos of auntie col looking cute as a button with Maeve! and Gran looking orientally pleased, and grandpa making maeve laugh! And everyone else climbing over each other to get to her (watch out Maeve!)... she's such a darling! xxx carmel, dan, alex
You don't need to tell us what the head nurse said - She really is the most beautiful babbie on the planet!!! I love all the bed pictures. She looks so relaxed and happy there- exploring her new found treasures. Do you think you could continue an "at home blog"? I'll be needing my early morning fix of "Maeve delights!
Enjoy the Forbidden City.
Love, Carolyn
Post a Comment